Danielle

Danielle

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Love and support

I'm king of amazed at all the people who come over to help my mom. How do people do this with no support system? It would be sad, I think. The hospice nurse is very kind but she doesn't know my mom. She can't talk with her, ease her concerns and make her laugh like we do.

Mom has her kids and Dad to help with the day to day stuff, ward members to bring in meals and sit with her, sisters who like to take her shopping or out to lunch (when she's feeling well,) and friends who send cards and come visit. When you understand where you're going, I think the journey must be easier with a bunch of people walking along with you.

I was thinking about that this morning when I went over to Mom's. My niece, Lauren was there helping my mom with her shower and then she cleaned the entire kitchen! We also got an update on the new boyfriend. :)

Mom seems pretty shaky today. She took a fall in the bathroom this morning while reaching for something on a low shelf. Dad heard her fall and ran in to find her flat on the floor. Mom says she really bruised her ego - at least nothing hurts right now. We're keeping a pretty close eye on her and, sadly, a shopping trip with her sister, Rallet had to be postponed.

She's still not eating much. We have to keep remembering what the hospice nurse says about mom's appetite and how it's OK if she doesn't want to eat. Old habits die hard, right?

Speaking of old habits, we've all been laughing a bit at my mom's insistence on watching Downtown Abbey with many of the visitors who come over. She doesn't remember that she's already watched it and she loves it every time!

I also got her to admit that I'm her favorite....but she doesn't remember that either. Dang! ;)

1 comment:

  1. I loved looking at the pictures you put up on the blog. Your mom is a fantastic woman. Please tell her hi from me!

    ReplyDelete