Danielle

Danielle

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fighting!

We Butlers are notorious for fighting. (Just verbally, I hope!!) I blame it on our Irish DNA and the need to fight for our rights! Anyway, that's what I think of when my mom gets really confrontational about taking medicine. I coaxed, cajoled, reasoned, and finally insisted yesterday that she take her nighttime meds. I don't do it very often - usually that job falls to my brother Tareq. He has talked about it but last night was the first time I experienced it first hand.

She insists that she's not in any pain and doesn't need meds. Unfortunately it's hard to get her to understand that if we lowered the regular pain meds, then she would be in so much pain that we'd have to give her morphine which knocks her out. I think Tareq gets an extra gold star for being so kind and sweet yet firm with my mom. He is our liason with hospice and knows exactly what needs to be done. He never loses his temper or says anything harsh.
Love you, T!

She couldn't keep anything down yesterday and is looking really thin. She's a fighter though; for good or bad, she's a fighter!

3 comments:

  1. I was looking through the flickr pics. Your father and mother have had a very happy and full life together. What a beautiful family! Their life experiences are awesome and incredible. I love the happy and radiant faces your mother has in all of her photos. What an angel. Praying for you all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dalliene, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes and I can't seem to prevent them from rolling down my cheeks. Thank you so much for keeping us informed. I wish there was some way I could ease the pain this journey must be for you and your mom. You and your family have been in my mind alot lately, which means I am sending lots of little prayers for y'all throughout the day. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't fight because I'm always right.
    Thanks for the updates! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete