Danielle

Danielle

Friday, February 17, 2012

Today

Howdy folks! I thought i'd start this blog so you could get regular updates on my mom and her cancer. If you don't already know, my name is Dalliene Butler Jessop and I'm Danielle's oldest and favorite daughter (a running joke around here!) I live a few blocks away from my parents in Orem and I'm able to go over there for several hours every day. Also, my brother Tareq and his wife Wendy live a few blocks closer and are there a lot too.

First let me start with today (that's kind of easier for me.) My brother Tareq is spending the nights at my parents' house since my sisters and sister-in law have gone home. He said mom had a good night last night. Mom hasn't been eating much lately but she managed a bit of breakfast and lunch today. As a bit of a sidenote, my amazing sis-in-law, Wendy, comes over every day to fix my mom an irresistible lunch. Even if mom can only eat a few bites, she absolutely LOVES it. We are so blessed to have Wendy in our family.

My Aunt Michelle came to visit from Oregon this weekend - a bit of a surprise (for me at least!) My mom really loves having her sisters around so I can't think of anything better to cheer her up. The hospice nurse came as well to redo the covering on mom's port (I'm sure there's a medical term for it but you'll just have to put up with my ignorance.)

Anyway, we have someone with my mom all the time because she's taking pain medicine and she's quite unsteady...and also because some of her symptoms seem to crop up pretty fast. In the past few weeks we've taken turns while my sisters Nicole and Rallet were here (who also, by the way, think they're mom's favorites!) Also, Christian's wife Lara was here for several days - all three were so great while they were here and we miss having them around.

The plan, when I left today to do my carpool, was for my dad to take Mom and Aunt Michelle to a movie since my mom is basically cooped up all day in the house. I'm not sure if they went (or if mom stayed awake the whole time!) but I'll let you know. I think my dad is working half days right now that mom's condition is fairly stable.

My parents' ward have been bringing dinner in every night since my mom came home from the hospital. They've also brought over lots of cards and notes to cheer mom up. I'm pretty sure some of the nicest people on earth live right here in Orem. :) I know it's a sacrifice and they have their own families to feed but all of us Butler kids are so grateful to you!!

Anyway, I'll be headed over to Butlers' again tonight to get mom ready for bed, bandage her up, give her some meds, have family prayer, and then chat until she drifts off to sleep. She's anxious about everything, not wanting to inconvenience anyone (if you know my mom, you recognize that!), sad about little things like the fact that she can't be the one to drive her grandaughter, Sydney home. We've had some long talks about death and heaven and cancer. I don't know if anyone is prepared for death. I hope she is when the time comes. I hope we're all ready when her time comes.

Follow-up: They did go see a movie today - pretty sure Harrison Ford would make me feel better!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi this is actually Denise not Nolan. I looked out the window earlier and saw a beautiful sight: your parents walking hand in hand doing one full lap around the cul-de-sac! Probably felt much like completing a marathon! I was glad she got out a soaked up some sweetheart sunshine! Thanks for doing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Dalliene! We love your mom so much and keep your family in our thoughts and prayers constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking at her pictures I wouldn't even guess that she is suffering. Wow. Please tell her and Rusty that we are praying for this transition to be a special one for all involved and I still haven't forgotten how kind they were to me the fist time I met them. It just so happened to be the first time I met Jeremy after his mission and I met the rest of the gain...all in one day..;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture of your mom and dad here is immortal! Love you guys. Hang in there all of you! Our prayers are getting bigger!

    ReplyDelete