Danielle

Danielle

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Last Night

Last night I was helping mom up the stairs to get ready for bed.  She turned and said, "So, are you going to be helping me tonight?"  I said, yes, that I helped her every night.  She said, "Well, where have I been!?!"  :)

Did I mention that I hate cancer?  Yep.  I haven't been this detailed before but Mom has Stage IV cancer which means that the breast cancer has spread to other parts of her, most notably to the skin on her chest and her lymph nodes.  Doctors also surmise (from the many nodules under her skin, I think??) that it has spread to other organs.  She also has some large spots on her back now that are painful.

I feel a little helpless, I guess.  I wish I could take it from her but the only thing we all can do is to make her feel comfortable and as happy as the situation will allow.  Mom got a card and letter from her dear high school friend yesterday and was quite touched.  She had a great "crowd" of friends at Provo High and they've been very supportive with cards and visits.

I also appreciate the words of support and love for me; the prayers, the occasional meals and babysitting.  It's hard for me to accept help sometimes but I'm learning now!  Thank you for being such great examples of Christ-like service!

Mom is going shopping with Wendy for a bit today - I assume that means they'll find a wheelchair (or maybe one of those motor-scooter things!) and go cruising around the mall or Target or Ross.  Mom hates being cooped up at home and it's been ages since she had a new book.  Hope they have fun!

2 comments:

  1. It's no fun, for sure (the cancer, I mean). I hope that you'll have many beautiful moments together. All of it is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you and your family sweetheart!! You're always in our prayers. You (and your siblings) are getting a marvelous opportunity to serve your mom....been there, done that.
    All my love, Aunt Marty

    ReplyDelete