Danielle

Danielle

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Still Fighting

It's hard to write a blog post where you admit that you've been arguing with your terminally ill mother but there it is. It seems as if she's reached a breaking point with her meds and is trying to refuse them all. We've coaxed, cajoled, tricked, etc. to get her to at least take her pain meds. Tonight she said it was absolutely the last time she was going to take them.

I hope not. Tareq should be home tomorrow and he has a way of sweet-talking her.

Nicole and her family arrived Friday afternoon. Poor Mom feels like she's supposed to be cleaning, straightening up, etc. while they're here...even when we all protest and tell her we can do it. She's trying to arrange meals (which is sort of funny since dad normally does all the cooking) but she loses her train of thought and gets frustrated.

Mom's been having more pain in her arm today...more than the regular pain meds will control. I think she may have to take some morphine. The hospice nurse thinks we'll gradually have to start ramping up the morphine as her pain increases; to the point where, sometime in the future, she may have to have a morphine pump. When that happens, she won't be conscious much.

On the bright side, my sweet sister-in-law, Angela, (Kevin's brother's wife) sent my mom a beautiful pink quilt.  Mom loved it and I couldn't hold back the tears. It was very sweet and we'll treasure it always.

Thanks for your love, support and prayers. Several people brought meals in for my family recently and it lightened my burden. I regularly feel a strength beyond my own and I know it's because of your thoughts and prayers. God bless.

4 comments:

  1. Sending love to you, Dalliene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sister Scoville. I think about your family a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Dalliene, thank you for your posts. I wish I could do more than pray to help you. I know there is power in prayer but being able to do something to help would make me feel less helpless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there Dalliene, all of you will be blessed with the strength and courage to continue on. I am so glad the quilt didn't get lost in the mail. I was rather worried about that. -Angela

    ReplyDelete